the hunt for jeans

Some girls love jeans.  They can dress them up or down, they just throw them on and look great.  Me, on the other hand, I do not love jeans.  I never have and probably never will.  I want jeans to fit perfectly and to be less than $50.  Hard to find.  Add my beautiful preggo belly, this hunt just intensified ten times!

My pre-pregnancy jeans of choice were a random super clearance skinny crop pair from Ann Taylor Loft.  I could wear them in the summer/spring and winter with boots.  Golden.  My splurge faves were Paige Premium and Citizens, both which I had to have altered for being shorter than most.  Don't get me wrong, I have over 10 pairs of jeans in my closet, but I always come back to those 3.
photo credit: 6pm.com

So, now we come to the pregnant version of me.  I made those jeans last as long as possible with the Be Band from Target.  Thank goodness to whoever invented that thing!  This weekend, I reached my max, my regular jeans just aren't making the cut anymore at 23 weeks.  Some women can wear their regular jeans all through pregnancy and feel great and look great, and I am more than happy for you (aka secretly jealous), but that is not me.  I embrace it, I love it, I just needed some jeans!

My hunt- I started with my 2 go tos for maternity.
Stop 1: Old Navy. Huge fail.  I tried on maternity skinny, curvy, boot cut, regular, you name it.  All awful.  Painful, in fact, to even attempt!  They may be $20-40, but not happening.

Stop 2: Target.  Just looking at the rack stressed me out.  2 pairs. Really, target?  One pair is the "low panel" version that makes me feel sick looking at it.  The other pair looked too mom jeanish and I didn't even try them on.  Both around $40.

Stop 3: Motherhood Maternity.  Sometimes Motherhood comes through for me, especially with the work clothes.  Online, the jeans were overwhelming.  Too many choices and I needed to try on before.

Stop 4: A Pea in the Pod.  Normally, I avoid this store like the plague unless I'm willing to spend $100 or up, but I did my research first.  They have a store named brand, maternity + petite!  I even called our mall's store to be sure they carried these, AND they were on sale post black friday.  Winner.

My sweet trooper of a husband went with me to stop by Pea in the pod, which we jokingly call, pee in the pond. I tried on one pair and a nice buy one get one top, and I felt like a million bucks.  There is something to be said for comfort, style, and nice quality clothes- especially when you are very pregnant.  I did a little dance in the dressing room and walked out to the counter and said, "Strange request- can I wear these clothes out and buy them now?"  I clearly am not the first person to ask, these women went into action.  One cut off my tags, the other had a bag for my other clothes that didn't make the cut to wear home.  I was in and out in a good 15 minutes.  Check for great customer service! This was the pair I ended up with.  And no, I will not be pairing them with 4 inch black heels, ever- much less now :)

photo credit: apeainthepod.com

After weeks of making those favorite pre pregnancy jeans barely/hardly/kindof work, I am glad to say the hunt is over.  Even if I need another pair in the next 4 months, I will probably buy online now that I know the size and fit that works.  I hope for other pregnant ladies out there, you have much more luck than I did.  It was a painful hunt, glad it is over!