During my time in Nashville, I've been pleasantly, and not so pleasantly, surprised:
1. There are LOTS of Alabama fans!! I can wear my crimson with pride :)
2. There are not many north carolinians, I do wish there were more. We met a couple who went to State and we were both so excited. Since TN borders 7 states, there are people from everywhere.
3. Central time rocks!! It's like your body still operates on Eastern time, just an hour later. Getting up feels like sleeping in and you go to bed when you get tired. The only problem would be TV, but the no cable solves that!
4. Either people here smoke more, or they are allowed to smoke in more public places... either way smokers are everywhere! I try to dodge the smoke and steer clear.
5. Nashville is a typically safe place to live. Again, this is in my short experience here, yet, overall I feel safer than I did in Charlotte...
6. It is not as humid! Nothing like NC, or alabama for that matter. Even on its hottest days, Nashville has a breeze in the air.
7. My grad program is a perfect fit for me. I had this concern that it would either be completely over my head or I would be the only nerd who was very passionate about education. Surprisingly, neither are true. I am in class right now for 7 hours a day with a group who love people and have a true passion for education in urban schools. We talk about topics and ideas that I have never known existed before. I feel incredibly empowered and ready to start this next teaching experience with what I can tell will be lifelong friends.
8. Everyone said it and it is true- we are in LOVE with this city! There are so many things to see and people to meet. (and GOOD food to eat!) We finding our niche slowly and enjoying every moment.